Now that you and your kids are on the same page after lively chats suggested in my Last Post, you are now in a better position to effectively reduce their screen time with the following practical steps;
1. Reach mutual agreement with your kids to remove the TV or computer from your their bedroom. DO NOT allow your kids to watch TV during meals or homework time.
2. DO NOT let your child eat while watching TV or using the computer. DO NOT leave the TV on the background. Turn on the audio play like radio instead, or have nothing on the background.
3. Discuss and decide with your kids which programs to watch ahead of time and turn off the TV or device when those programmes are over. Suggest other activities that your children may enjoy doing, such as family board games, puzzles, or going for a walk.
4. Keep a record of how much time is spent in front of screens and try to spend the same amount of time or more on physical activities. Be a good role model as a parent by reducing your own screen time to 2 hours or less a day.
5. If it is hard putting off TV manually, try using a sleep function to turn it off automatically. Challenge your family to go for one week without watching TV or doing other screen activities. Nature dislike vacuum, therefore find other things to do as a family to keep you together and to keep you moving.
Congratulations! You’ve Won!! Good manners deserve some treat – find surprise gifts for yourself and your kids.
Did you find this post helpful? Share it and post your views at the comment section below. Thank You.