What is Screen Time?
“Screen time” is a term used for activities done in front of a screen, such as watching television, working on a computer, or playing video games.
6 Reasons Why Kids Should Limits Their Screen Time
1. Screen time is sedentary activity, which means the kids are physically inactive while sitting down. Very little energy is used during screen time.
2. Electronic gadgets are isolating children from the real world; therefore, parents or carers have to drag the kids, so to speak, into participating in the real life activities and that demand a lot of energy from many parents are often very tired after challenging secular work.
3. Watching screen longer than recommended hours makes it harder for some children to sleep at night.
4. Longer screen time may also affect achild’s attention span and what the child watches could result in anxiety and depression.
5. Staying inactive during screen time may lead to excessive weight gain and if not manage properly it can lead to obesity and many other health issues.
6. Some research have shown that watching screens for more than recommended time has encourage kids to eat more foods – especially when they see ads about foods – leading to unhealthy eating habits.
Take Home Tips
Most electronic gadgets – like Computers, tablets and television can help kids educationally, if parents and carers control what their kids do with them. But surfing the internet without any direction, spending too much time on social media like Facebook or YouTube is considered unhealthy screen time.